Friday, April 25, 2014

It's That Time of the Year for Grilling and Barbecue

There's something special about the spring season. It's time to move out of the house into the warmer weather and feel the sun on your face. It is that time of the year for outdoor activities not the least of which is grilling and barbecue. To be perfectly honest, I grill on my back deck during the winter months and I love it. But there is nothing like being able to sit out on my deck with my shorts on drinking a cold one while the grill is firing up.

I happen to be a charcoal grilling enthusiast and don't even use a propane grill any longer. A couple of years ago I heard about the grill accessory called a chimney starter and that is what actually turned me back onto cooking with charcoal. I never was really too keen on the idea of soaking my charcoal with lighter fluid and with a chimney starter I don't have too any longer! It is such a simple contraption but it works every time.
There is nothing like the smell of charcoal burning in the night air even if it's coming from a neighbor's yard. But it certainly is much more exciting if the smell of charcoal is coming from my Weber grills. Yes, I only use Weber when it comes to my charcoal grilling. I have a Weber Smokey Joe and a One Touch which is a bit larger. Sometimes I use one and sometimes I use the other and there have also been times when I fire both of them up if I have a huge crowd over the house.
I must admit that I have a water smoker when I barbecue and it isn't made by Weber but it works great. A lot of people don't understand the difference between grilling and barbecue but there is a big difference. Grilling is typically referred to as cooking on high heat so as to get a sear on your meat, seafood, or vegetables. The time it takes to grill typically doesn't exceed 30 minutes either but barbecue is another matter entirely.
If you barbecue you are cooking at low temperatures over longer periods of time. Recently my wife and I used our water smoker and barbecued a pork shoulder and it took about 6 hours to complete. It also requires you to add more charcoal throughout the process so that you can maintain a temperature of roughly 200 - 250 degrees Fahrenheit. I consider barbecue to be for the true enthusiast while grilling would be for the typical homeowner.
No matter what you prefer between grilling and barbecue, you should certainly take part in one of the most fascinating and exhilarating experiences you could have in your own backyard!