Friday, April 25, 2014

What Are Your Most Utilized Grill Accessories?

For those of us who love grilling on a regular basis, there are a few accessories that we use every time that we head out to our back deck to whip up some tasty grilled foods. When I use the word accessory I don't necessarily mean the actual grill that I cook on but more of the ancillary products that I buy to make this experience the best that it can be.

I am a charcoal enthusiast and I recently brought my propane unit to my local recycling center because I simply wasn't using it anymore and I needed to make some more room on my deck. To be perfectly honest, I may go out and buy a smaller propane grill because there are certain times when I need to grill quickly and a propane unit really can speed the process up. For example, during the work week I might just want to have some steak cooked outside but don't really want to wait for the charcoal to heat up. But when it comes to enjoying the experience, I really love using charcoal over propane any day.
My #1 grill accessory is my Weber chimney starter. It is far and away the best unit that you can buy on the market. I have a cheap non-Weber version that I bought from Home Depot and it rusted out within a month. I can still use it but it obviously is not well made. The Weber version is also much larger with many different openings for air flow while the charcoal is being lit. I have used mine now for over a year and it still looks and works great!
Another minor but still very important grill accessory that I use every time that I cook outside is my long-handled flexible lighter. The one that I have has a flexible hose that I can point anywhere I need it. I light the newspaper at the bottom of my chimney starter with this lighter and the most important thing is that it is the type that shoots out the fire like a torch. This is very important to me since I grill at the ocean oftentimes and to have a lighter that is wind-resistant, it really makes a big difference.
My other go-to grill accessories are my long-handled tongs, spatula, and grill brush. If you want to make your experience cooking outside a blast, you too should consider investing in top quality accessories. The extra money that you might pay up-front will pay off in your future years of grilling.